VB_Thumbnail.jpg

Philips Saeco VeroBaristo

UX/UI design


Improving usability through iterative user research

Time frame: 20 weeks | 2,5 days a week | 2015

Team: 5 master students

 

Improving the usability of a home espresso machine with iterative user research

UX/UI DESIGN

Time frame: 20 weeks | 2,5 days a week | 2015
Team: 5 master students

The Saeco VeroBaristo is a full automatic espresso machine with a sleek appearance and an intuitive user interface. In contrast to the modern look and feel of the machine, the UI is familiarly old school. With the VeroBaristo you can brew 18 different types of coffee and set up your own user profile. Navigating the menu is based on turning a physical knob.

 
 
VIEW PROCESS

This project was focused on evaluating and optimizing the usability and user experience of the espresso machine. We did not change the technical workings of the machine. We started with an analysis of the current product and set up a thorough user research study to find existing issues. The research resulted in a systematic overview of many different usability problems. In order to improve the design of the Saeco GranBaristo we used the found problems as input to generate targeted design solutions.

These solutions were integrated into a redesign proposal. Using a foam mockup and an interactive UI mockup the redesign was tested in a second user study. It was amazing to see participants use our redesign and hear their experiences. Almost all issues found in the first user study were resolved and participant were much more positive about the overall experience, aesthetics and performance of the machine. That's how we transformed the GranBaristo into the VeroBaristo.

 
 This flowchart shows the menu structure of the Saeco GranBaristo. We used this structure to set up the first user study.

This flowchart shows the menu structure of the Saeco GranBaristo. We used this structure to set up the first user study.

GranbaristoTest-3.jpg
GranbaristoTest-2.jpg
 To remove obvious issues from our first redesign proposal we performed a usage inspection with a paper prototype of the UI.

To remove obvious issues from our first redesign proposal we performed a usage inspection with a paper prototype of the UI.

 On the left a foam mockup of the redesign and on the right the original espresso machine.

On the left a foam mockup of the redesign and on the right the original espresso machine.

overview_1600x1600_shadow.jpg
top_compartments_1200x1200.png